Friday 22 July 2011

Chad Gadya: Stella after Lissitzky

I experienced an art overdose yesterday, trying to squeeze in too much within a one-day time frame.  I was really exhausted.  I should never do that again.

It has been raining in Berlin for two days now.  There's really nothing better to do than to stay indoors.  I visited Daimler ContemporaryHamburger Bahnhof Museum für Gegenwart and  Mies van der Rohe's Neue Nationalgalerie yesterday.  There's so much to see in HBMfG that I could have dwelt in there for the entire day.  I went to Deutsche Guggenheim and Kunstwerk today - at a much better pace.  I've seen so much these past two days that there is a lot that I can possibly write about.  But I think, for now, I'll just write about what I saw at NN last evening.

Two great masters were brought together at NN with Frank Stella's illustrations after El Lissitzky's Chad Gadya.  Lissitzky made illustrations for the old Jewish song Chad Gadya in the late 1910s.  More than 60 years later, Stella made new illustrations for the same song, having been inspired by Lissitzky's original work.  I like Stella's version better since Lissitzky has not quite matured to his suprematist style at that time yet.  Stella's work is, to my delight, geometric based.

Stella at Neue Nationalgalerie, Berlin 2011: