Wednesday 13 July 2011

Ronchamp pilgrimage

For fans of modern architecture, Ronchamp in eastern France is the mecca.  It is THE place to visit at least once in a lifetime.  So my second pilgrimage to the mecca should qualify me as a superfan.  In terms of its distance from Basel, it is not really that far.  But because there are only a handful of trains stopping at the village of Ronchamp every day, my trip took me a whole day.  Just like my last visit, the weather today has been grey and drizzly.  The day might not have been great for pictures but the sight of Le Corbusier's La Chapelle Notre Dame du Haut (1954) in the mist makes it look perfectly ethereal.





J'ai voulu créer un lieu de silence, de priére, de paix, de joie intérieure. - Le Corbusier 1955

The interior of the chapel is equally stunning.  But since photography is not allowed inside, I have to keep the amazing sights in my head and in my sketch book.