Sunday 31 July 2011

The Shape Of Things To Come

I visited Camden Art Centre and Whitechapel Gallery yesterday.  I didn't quite feel connected to the exhibition at CAC.  I think I enjoyed the tea and cake at their cafe better than their show.  I went to Whitechapel to see my favourite artist Fred Sandback's installations and I was not disappointed.  It's a pity no photography was allowed.  Hopefully I'll see more of Sandback's works when I visit New York in August.

I visited Saatchi Gallery and Serpentine Gallery today.  It was a great show by Michelangelo Pistoletto at Serpentine but again no photography.  So I have no images to share.  I did take some pictures of their annual summer pavilion by Swiss architect Peter Zumthor.  I'll write about that on a separate post later when I get a chance to.

Saatchi is showing The Shape Of Things To Come: New Sculpture.  Although most works on view here are from a few years ago, they do not look outdated.  Here are some of my favourites:

Björn Dahlem at Saatchi, London 2011:


David Batchelor at Saatchi, London 2011:


Anselm Reyle at Saatchi, London 2011:


Roger Hiorns at Saatchi, London 2011:


Kris Martin at Saatchi, London 2011: