Friday 19 August 2011

Bechers on Hudson?

I took a day trip to Beacon, about 80 minutes one way by train up Hudson River north of NYC.  It's well worth spending almost three hours on the train to visit Dia: Beacon, which is a must-see for any lover of contemporary (minimalist) art.  Works on view are mostly large-scaled works by great masters.  My favourites Bernd & Hilla Becher, John Chamberlain, Dan Flavin, Donald Judd, Imi Knoebel, Sol LeWitt, Gerhard Richter, Fred Sandback and Richard Serra were all shown there.  Unfortunately, photography was not allowed.  So I have no images from DB to share here.

Bernd and Hilla Becher at Pinakothek der Moderne, München 2010:


Talking about Bernd and Hilla Becher, I found a lot of vintage industrial constructions outside my train window that looked as if they had appeared in the Bechers' photo album.  They made my train ride even more enjoyable.