Thursday 28 July 2011

Hafen Hamburg

I can't believe my European trip this summer is finishing soon.  I'll be leaving Hamburg tonight and flying to London England, where I'll stay for a few more days before heading back to Toronto.  My last day in Hamburg is rather relaxed.  The day started with a ferry cruise in Hafen Hamburg.  My sights are mainly on architecture around the harbour.

At Altona:


BRT Architekten's 2006 Bürohaus Dockland, Hamburg:


Genkel Architekten's 2009 Neubau Hauptverwaltung Unilever in HafenCity, Hamburg:


Herzog & de Meuron's 2012 (to be completed) Elbphilharmonie in HafenCity, Hamburg:


At Speicherstadt:


In addition to all the architecture, I also saw some art in the harbour.  Kunstverein Hamburg has Bulgarian artist Plamen Dejanoff's installation The Bronze House erected right by the Unilever building.  It is the facade of an architectural design composed entirely of caste bronze modules.  Five other similar structures are currently being constructed in the Bulgarian city Veliko Tarnovo.

Dejanoff at Kunstverein Hamburg (offsite in HafenCity), 2011: