Sunday 24 January 2021

21148363*

During the months of continual lockdowns, I discovered the livestreams by Romford guitarist Steve Reynolds (1985 - 2021), which were dedicated to health care workers.  His music was in the classic style of the Shadows.  Like so many among his growing circle of followers around the world, I anticipated and watched his shows every week, which have become a much welcomed consolation during this very difficult time.  Although most of us have never met him in person, we all feel fondly like we were in the household of this kind soul.  When I heard the news of his sudden death three weeks ago, it was so hard to believe.  I felt both shocked and deeply saddened.  He has been an inspiration and a moral support to many who were experiencing uncertainty and loss in their lives.  He and his music will be sorely missed.

Besides the Shadows, the music of Billy Fury (1940 - 1983) was often on Reynolds's playlist.  I have never heard of Billy Fury before.  One tragic fact linking Reynolds and Fury is that they both died young, both in January, abruptly.  In 1982 just before he died, Fury recorded his version of Bobby Rydell's 1963 hit Forget Him.  Reynolds's guitar interpretation of the song on video in 2014 was his tribute to Fury.  His own video now is my tribute to him.  RIP, my friend ...



Video from Steve Reynolds's youtube channel


Steve Reynolds ... your kindness shall I never forget.


*21148363 is the 1338771st prime number.