Monday 1 July 2013

Posenenske's constructivist space

I'm heading to Hamburg today.  As I'm waving goodbye to Berlin temporarily (I'll come back for a few more days in a couple weeks), there's one other show I saw here that I can't wait to write about.  I first saw Charlotte Posenenske's works six years ago at Documenta 12 in Kassel, and I've been following her ever since.  Her own manifesto from 1968 best summarizes her philosophy:

"The things I make are variable, as simple as possible, reproducible.  They are components of a space, since they are like building elements, they can always be rearranged into new combinations or positions, thus, they alter the space.  I leave this alteration to the consumer who thereby again and anew participates in the creation.  The simplicity of basic geometric forms is beautiful and suited
to the demonstration of the principles of rationalized modifications."

Posenenske at Galerie Mehdi Chouakri, Berlin 2013: